Austin Sign Language School (ASLS), incorporated in 1977 by the late Fran Herrington-Borre, is a non-profit organization which offers quality sign language instruction for adult students, ages 14 and above, in Austin, Texas. NO CHILDREN’S CLASSES ARE AVAILABLE.
Areas of sign language instruction include Fingerspelling, Manual Communication, Conceptually Accurate Signed English (CASE), American Sign Language (ASL), Contact Sign, Interpreter Training, and Deaf Culture. Classes are beginning to advanced but ASLS does not have an interpreter training program. Our courses are not accredited, and we do not issue transcripts. .
Tuesdays, NW Austin: January 3-March 7, 2017
Thursdays, South TSD: January 5-March 9, 2017
Thursdays, South TSD: June 8-July 27, 2017
No NW Austin Summer Classes
Sept. 14-Nov. 16, 2017
Summer 2017 INFORMATION
Summer Registration begins March 10, 2017
Credit cards accepted for on-line registrations.
Summer 2017 Classes
- Summer semester begins at TSD June 8, 2017. Payment must be submitted by June 5, 2017. Click here for Quick Reference Schedule. Mail-in and on-line registration and payment must be submitted by June 5, 2017. Click here for course information.
Summer 2017 Adult Courses and Locations
(need 6 students per course)
Pre-register to ensure courses can be offered.
Thursday Nights –
Texas School for the Deaf
June 8-July 27, 2017
*Course contingent on having enough enrolled and pre-paid students.
** DARS Interpreter CEUs approved
- SOUTH LOCATION – Thursday Nights
Texas School for the Deaf (TSD)
Ford/CTE Vocational Building
1102 South Congress Avenue
Austin, TX 78704
Enter TSD through the Elizabeth Street gate after 5:30 p.m.
Click here for map of TSD.
- Summer classes meet at TSD for 8 weeks on Thursday nights, beginning June 8, 2017 with specific courses from 6:00-8:00 p.m.
- NORTHWEST LOCATION – Tuesday Nights
Westover Hills Church of Christ
Austin, TX 78759
- No summer classes are offered at Westover. Fall classes have not been finalized.
- COST AND REGISTRATION
- The cost is $130.00 per student per course. ($5.00 discount for second family member taking a course during a semester).
- Pre-registration for ASLS classes is required. To pre-register, register on-line or send registration form and fee at least one week prior to first class session. Course Offerings depend on number of registrations received for each course. Click here for registration. Austin Sign Language School is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. We welcome all interested students, regardless of race, religion, creed, age or disability.